new pump

Replacing my old 1 hp pump with a Badu Eco MV. Existing set up has a Jandy Check Valve [ P/N 7236?] in front of the strainer basket.  To keep it primed all the time I think?? Should this be left as is or take it out?

Thanks

Dale

Hi Dale,

You should not need the check valve if the pool is plumbed efficiently, many times pools are not plumbed efficiently and this check valve is installed to keep the pump primed. Could you post a photo of your current pool pump showing the plumbing going into and out of the pump? The more 90’s directly before the pump and after the pump dramatically decrease the pumps performance. About a week ago I replumbed my fathers pool and by simply removing two 90’s before the inlet of the pump it was amazing how much faster his pump primed (like 5 seconds instead of 45 seconds) he also had a check valve on the inlet of the pump and we were able to completely remove that.

Here are instructions on how to post a photo to this thread…

Thank You

Patrick

www.inyopools.com

Patrick, give me a 55 chevy and I"m OK  Sending pictures is another story. The set up is a sweep 90 comming from the pool into the check valve and straight to the pump.  A sweep 90 out of the pump towards the filter tnen 2 sweeps to get the right hieght to go into the filter. Hope you can visulize that.

Thanks

Dale

Dale,

No worries. For a pool pump the more Total Dynamic Head (TDH) you have the less Gallons Per Minute (GPM) the pump will output. For every 90 you have this adds 9’ of TDH, so if you can remove two 90’s this will drop your TDH by almost 20’. If you take a standard 1 HP pool pump at 50’ TDH (this a typical TDH for a pool) then the GPM will be roughly 48 GPM, now if you drop that TDH by 20’ down to 30’ TDH you now get an output of 75 GPM!

So to answer your original question, if you don’t think you can remove any 90’s then yes I would keep the check valve in place. If it is possible to re-plumb and remove some of the 90’s then the check valve may not be needed. Also if you are in a situation where you cannot remove a 90 then a 45 or even two 45’s will be less TDH then a single 90. We wrote a detailed article here on How to Determine Total Dynamic Head which you may find helpful. I especially like the 2nd chart in this article showing how many feet TDH each plumbing fitting adds.

Thank You

Patrick