Chlorinated pools vs salt water pools

I have a 12,000 gallon inground pool.  I live in a somewhat rural area with several farm fields around me, including one just 30 yards from my pool.  My issue is I just woke up to a cloudy pool for the second time in 2 weeks.  My local pool dealer tells me it is the chemicals the farmers are using that drift into my pool.  They talk about anhydrous amonia, mostly.  They tell me that if I cover my pool, like with a solar cover, it will not do any good, it will still “turn”.  Then I have to purchase $140.00 of liquid chlorine (32 gallons), dump it in and hope it is enough to bring my pool back.

I have a couple of questions… First, is there anything I can do to combat/stop/avoid this?

Second, If I converted to a saltwater pool will I have the same problem?

Thank you very much for your time and information.  I hope to hear from you soon.

Carol Jean

Hi Carol,

We have had great success with the Trouble Free Pool Method which can be found on the Trouble Free Pool Forum I spoke with Trouble Free about your issue and this was their reply.

I seriously doubt it.  Ammonia, first of all, doesn’t lead to a cloudy pool.  Lack of chlorine is almost always the reason.  Secondly, she is trusting a pool store guy…we have huge skepticism on their expertise. Last, she needs to test for ammonia.  If she shows no indication of ANY testing so that’s really where she has to start.  What we teach begins with precision testing (hence the test kit)…  All analysis has to stem from the reliable results we get with great testing. If she can give us a chemistry snapshot of his pool, we might help her but without it, she is only repeating pool store advice…recipe for disaster. Sorry to sound so “know’it-all” Patrick…we do understand this stuff and it’s amazing how much bad info is out there. As an aside, the injection (it actually is injected underground) of anhydrous ammonia takes place once yearly, usually in the early Spring before crops are out of the ground.  I can always be incorrect, but I see absolutely no connection whatsoever…it can be proven by testing (for ammonia) Having an SWG is completely unrelated…  If she wants to clear her pool, she needs to start doing her own testing. and learn what the results mean.

I would post your test readings to this TFPC Water Chemistry Page and you will have suggestions back within minutes about how to address your water chemistry.

I hope this helps.

Thank You

Patrick

www.inyopools.com

From CarolJean

Hi Patrick,I read the response and I would like to test for ammonia my self but I can’t seem to find a test kit.  What would you recommend?  Each water test kit I look up does not say anything about testing for ammonia.  Am I reading the labels incorrectly? or do I need a special kit?Thank you for your help,Carol Jean

Hi CarolJean,

There is not an Ammonia Test specifically for swimming pools. Normally this is a test done in aquariums so you can get an Ammonia Test kit used for aquariums like this one http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hanna-test-kit-ammonia-for-fresh-water.html

Thank You

Patrick

Thank you Patrick, I will check it out.

Thanks CarolJean, keep us posted on how things turn out.

Update on my ammonia problem… I think you were spot on about the ammonia caused by not enough chlorine.  I have monitored the chlorine closer and I have not had any more trouble.  Hopefully this will continue to be the solution.

I just discovered a crack in my fiberglass pool.  Due to a “perfect storm” of surcumstances the sand under my pool steps has washed away, leaving them unsupported.  As a result, I now have a crack in a step corner.  I used JBWeld and stopped the leak temporarily however, I noticed it seperated so I had to “fix” it again.  Is there a good permanent fix for this problem?

Thank you,

Carol Jean

Hi CarolJean,

Thats great news about your water chemistry, I would say 9 times out of 10 the issue is a chlorine issue. As far as the steps go you could fix the crack but this is just a

As far as the steps go you could fix the crack but this is just a band-aid approach until the void is backfilled or supported. If your pool is not that old then I would get with your pool builder as this would be on them. If your pool is an older pool and the pool builder is not on the hook then you might want to look at this Fiberglass Stair Foam Kit which fills the hollow void behind the steps, or call a local company to back fill the void in the steps. Once the steps are properly supported you could then fix the crack, here is a good article on How to Repair Fiberglass Pool Steps which goes over the process. I hope this helps.

Thanks

Patrick

Thank you Patrick, I will look into both.  Your insight and information have been very helpful.

Thank you,

Carol Jean

Thank you Carol Jean please let us know how it turns out.

Thank You

Patrick