water leak by motor

Is it likely that my circuit breaker is tripping after about 5 seconds after starting pump because of the water coming from my pump?  I hear the water even when it is unplugged, seems to be a continuous. Also would replacing the seal be a good place to start? I have an A.O.SMITH UST1152

Hi poollover many times if the motor is getting hit with a lot of water there may have been internal damage done to the motor and it could be toast. You will need to fix your leak regardless, so I would suggest a seal kit which includes all the gaskets, o-rings and shaft seal for your pump these typically run $34. However once you fix the leak the motor may still be damaged from the water that it has been exposed to, you wont really know until you fix the leak. If the motor is still tripping after the leak is fixed then you would need to replace your motor with a UST1152 1.5 HP Replacement Motor. Could you post a picture of your pump with housing to this thread so we can let you know which seal kit you require. The most common pump that the UST1152 goes onto is the Hayward Super Pump and if you do indeed a have a Super Pump then you would need the Hayward Super Pump Tune Up Kit.

Leak on my pump, I tightened the bolts on my Hayward pump and the leak was still there. After looking at all of the videos on line, I’m sure it is the gaskets. MY question is, if i shut the circuit breaker off, can I move the motor away in place and replace the gaskets without touching the wiring or unhooking the piping?

Thank you

Rick

Hi Rick,

Yes, you can do this, and I would let the pump sit for a bit to make sure the motor is completely dried out. You still may have done irreparable damage to the motor, but you won’t know until you let it dry out and start it up. If the motor does not come on, then let me know, and I can help find your the proper replacement motor.

Thank You

Patrick

Patrick,

Thank you. I did wind up diconnecting the power, because after repacing the housing gasket and diffuser gasket, it was still leaking. Tok it off unhooked and an went to repalce the seal assembly.I am having an issue with part of the assembly. The component with the spring has a metal rim and metal within the ring. It doesnt fit, the old one and the new one have a different I.D.

waiting for the stores to open to see whatI can do… per the owners manual all the seal assembly model numbers are the same…frustrating

Do you know which pump you have? The most common to use the UST1202 motor is the Hayward Super Pump and it uses this shaft seal

Model number on the motor is C48K2N143B1, the number on the pump is SP2607X10 Serial # 640A34. The picture that you sent does not fit. That is the one I bought yesterday. The procelain component fits fine, the seal withthe spring does not. I actually split the plastic ring on the new one when I tried to push it on. I went to the pool installers retail shop today and they had the same components listed as the replacement. When I asked if they know that the original type seal is available they didn’t know. I’ve attached two pics, new one that didnt fit has the metal trim. That inside metal piece is what is kilin’ me. Please note split on left image because I tried to push it on.

seal assembly 1seal image II

Patrick,

Problem solved… rookie error on my part. I had to remove the existing metal ring from the flywheel and didn’t know this. That is why it wouldn’t fit. According to the pool speciality shop the metal ring came as a separate piece years ago.The new replacement parts as noted have it incorporated as one piece. I brought the original flywheel with me back to the store today and explained what I was trying to do,they knew right away and showed my that the metal piece on the flywheel had to be pulled off, which they did. New replacement part fits perfectly now.  One would think that the pool installer’s retail shop would have known that when I showed them my issue. Feeling much better now knowing that I don’t have to buy a whole new pump system.

thank you for all your help!

That’s great news!

have just installed a new motor on my pump and have a leak between the pump and housing. eveything went together well, all orings replaced and shaft seal. Not sure where to start to fix this, do i need another start kit? tham

nks

Hello Jtac602561 - We’d be glad to assist you. You may not need a new kit. If it’s leaking between the seal plate and pump housing, the housing gasket/o-ring may not be sitting in there correctly. Try separating it again, lubricating the gasket and putting the pump back together.

Having a similar issue as @RickyJ above. I have a Hayward RS series pump that was leaking something awful from the bottom. I first tried a shaft seal and that didn’t solve the problem. Then a complete replacment of all the gaskets which helped but didn’t fix it fully. At my whit’s end i bought a new Strainer housing (came w/ all new gaskets), new seal plate, new diffuser and i’m somehow getting even more leaking than before. Is it possible i tightend the bolts in the wrong order or over tightened them? I used hayward pool lube on all the gaskets to help with sealing as well. In general the pump is working much better than it did before and can tell there isn’t any air getting into the system. Is there a way to identify this issue or would it be bad if i just used silicone caulk to seal the bottom of the pump where all the joints meet?

Maybe the housing is cracked somewhere?  It should not leak if you replaced everything.  Another thing to check is that the motor shaft seal is installed correctly.

One trick is to put cheap foamy shaving cream on the pump and the housing to see where the leak is.  It will suck in if it is a vacuum side leak and it will run off if it is a pressure leak.