Brand new 1.5 hp

Dear Inyopool,

I just received my brand new motor pump from you today. The thing is that I used to have a 1 Hp with the tubing of 1.5 inches. My wife made the order for a 1.5 hp. I installed it as it should (I think)  And it looks like he is overheated (smell and heat) What could I do to fix it without making an other order (cause I am living offshore)

Could you help me?

Hello PanPan,

Here is a possible answer to why your motor is overheating. Most pumps have a specific IMPELLER that is rated for the specific horsepower of that motor. When you upgrade the horsepower of the motor, you should check with the parts listing of your PUMP make and model to see if a different impeller is needed. If so, then there is your answer.

There is no quick fix to this problem. Once you have verified the correct impeller, the only other issues could be it is wired incorrectly or you have an air leak not allowing the pump basket to fill completely with water.

Inyo Alan

Dear Alan,

Thank you very much for your answer. As a fact it takes a long time to create the succion needed to fullfil the bucket but in those time the motor seems ok. After that it begins by stop and go (tic-tic) tic-tic, as soon as the bucket is full and it;s  looking to work I see the motor overheating. Do you think that everything should be related to the propeller or … Its on the 230V and looking fine. My old motor as the same problem to lasting to create the succion, it might be a leaked underground or something.

Hello PanPan,

As described above, I would first verify the impeller is the correct size. I would also address the air leak. The pool plumbing is a closed system, meaning that there should be no air in your pipes (unless you open a cap to the pump or chlorinator). You can try eliminating the easiest issues. If you continue to have overheating problems, you may want to consider having a repair technician visit your equipment.

Dear Allan,

I changed the impeller I put a SPX2610C and new seal, still have the heating problem. Should I a put another one like SPX2615C?

Thanks for your help!

Hello PanPan - What heating issue are you having? Is the motor overheating and shutting down or is hot to the touch? It is normal for the motor to be hot to the touch. Most of the motors have an insulation B rating with a thermal overload protector that trips at 256°F. So they can runny very hot to the human touch.

Dear Allan,

I received and changed the impeller to a SPX2615C and I have the same problem. As soon as I turn it on I hear a click-click (kind of switching on and off) After that it works for more or less 10 minutes overheating until it switched off by itself (must be a internal reset) What should I do? Brand new 1.5 hp motor/ new set of seal/ new impeller SPX2615C

Thank you for your help.