Chlorine

I have a 16 x32 in ground vinyl pool. We use a Raypak heat pump with titanium heat exchanger and also have a Warm Water Solutions wood burning heater with stainless steel heat exchanger. After balancing water chemistry in the spring I chlorinated by putting 4 3" tabs in the skimmer once a week. I use 2 gallons of liquid shock directly into the deep end once a week. Is this procedure harmful to the equipment?

The liquid shock is not an issue, but be sure to distribute it around a bit rather than dumping it in one spot.

Do not put the chlorine tabs directly into the skimmer.  Once your pump and filter turns off, the tablets keep dissolving in your skimmer, forming highly acidic water. Once the pump is turned back on, this same acidic water goes straight into the filter. This can compromise the internal parts of your filter – cartridges, o-rings, and gaskets – forcing you to replace them earlier than normally necessary.

Instead of putting chlorine tablets in your skimmer or pump, we recommend using a chlorinator. A chlorinator will automatically disperse chlorine into your pool according to an adjustable setting on the unit. Chlorinators work with your existing pump and filter and are usually very easy to install. Another option is a floating chlorinator which is just a plastic vessel that holds tablets and floats in the pool. Whatever you do, though,  please do not put chlorine tablets into your skimmer or pump!

2 Likes

Thanks for the help.