Chlorine level

I live in central California and have a 22,765 gallon inground swimming pool. I’ve had the worst time  keeping my chlorine level up this summer. I have two floaters in the pool at all times, both filled with TriChlor chlorine tablets. I shock every week and after four days my chlorine level is basically zero. I’ve tried different brands of chlorine tablets. I add 10-12 ounces of Poly quat 60% algaecide every week. My pH level is consistently 7.2, alkalinity is good, all other chemistries are fine. Can anybody help me? Thank you!

We’d be glad to assist you. What is your stabilizer level?

My CYA level is 40.

1. Is there any algae in the pool?

2. Is the pool cloudy?

3. What is the temperature of the water?

4. What is the total dissolved solids level (tds)?

5. What kind of shock are you using? How much do you use at one time?

Sorry for all the questions but it will hopefully help ID the issue.

1. No algae

2. Crystal clear water

3. about 70 degrees F

4. TDS is 500

5. I was using “HTH Super Shock 4-in-1”. One bag treats 13,500 gallons. I was using 3 bags because our air temperature has been in the high 90s and hotter. It was costing me a fortune so a month ago I started using generic liquid chlorine bleach (5%, unscented, uncolored, regular bleach). I pour in 6 gallons with the pump running and leave it running for 5 hours after adding the bleach.

I don’t mind the questions at all. I’m so grateful for any help you can offer!

I’m not seeing any obvious reasons why the chlorine level would drop. Here are a few more possibilities.

1. People swimming in the pool

2. Organic contaminants. Leaves, twigs, animals

3. Tablets not dissolving. An inline chlorinator is more efficient at dissolving the tablets.

4. Balanced Pool Water

pH 7.4-7.6
   Alkalinity 80-120
   Calcium 200-400
   CYA 30-60
   TDS Under 2000

1. When shocking, add 7 gallons of your 5% bleach

Thank you Rob.

Good luck. Come back and let us know if you resolve the issue.

Will do.