CPSC 36 compupool salt generator

Having a problem with salt generator, replaced cell and cord about a month ago, everything was working fine until this weekend when I notice the water fault light was on and unit was not producing. Read the toubleshooting guide, first made sure the conections on cell were tight, they are being all is new, checked salt in pool with strip test, it reads about 2700 ppm and on my electronic tester it read 3000 ppm, compu pool unit said my salt contant was 2500ppm, so I added one 40lb bag of salt, waited a day to make sure it was mixed in, now I’m reading 3700ppm on my electronic devise, compu pool unit still saying 2500ppm, I  will check again tomorrow with the test strip to see where I am with the salt level, but I’m thinking my problem is in the unit, maybe there is a bad senser or something like that going on? Any suggestions would be appriciated.  thanks, John

Also when I first start, the unit will read low salt for a few seconds then switchs to water fault and reads no flow, I have good flow through out the system .  John

Tested salt content today after adding one bag 2 days ago, test strip reads 3110 ppm and electronic tester reads 3750 ppm. But compupool unit still reading <2500, when you power it up says low salt then the water fault light comes on reading no water. There is plenty of flow through unit.   Help, I’m about to go out and buy clourine tablets.

Hello JohnBull - We contacted Compupool and below is their response.

If the cell and cord are new, and the salt level is good, there are only two possibilities left. Most likely is that the LCD board (part number JDPCBLCD) should be replaced. This is definitely an older unit, pre-2011, as the newer ones did not give a ppm reading at all. Before replacing the LCD board, I would suggest opening up the unit and taking a look at the SCR chips (the 4 inch by inch square chips atop the power board) for any signs of damage. If damage is found on any of those chips, the customer can contact us about having the unit sent in for repair, or if they are handy with the soldering they can replace the power board themselves (part number JDPCBSCR). I’m attaching a water fault troubleshooting checklist as well, which goes into detail with pics about what exactly to check for.

Thanks Rob, once I opened up the unit, I found that one of the wirenuts on the new cord tie in had failed and melted, not sure how that happen, it’s not like the first wire nut I put on, but anyway I cut back the new cord wire and tied in all in again and presto my troubles were gone. Unit back up and running. Thanks for your help, John

John - Thanks for letting us know how things turned out. We’re glad the system is back up and running…

Hello JohnBull - We contacted Compupool and below is their response.

If the cell and cord are new, and the salt level is good, there are only two possibilities left. Most likely is that the LCD board (part number JDPCBLCD) should be replaced. This is definitely an older unit, pre-2011, as the newer ones did not give a ppm reading at all. Before replacing the LCD board, I would suggest opening up the unit and taking a look at the SCR chips (the 4 inch by inch square chips atop the power board) for any signs of damage. If damage is found on any of those chips, the customer can contact us about having the unit sent in for repair, or if they are handy with the soldering they can replace the power board themselves (part number JDPCBSCR). I’m attaching a water fault troubleshooting checklist as well, which goes into detail with pics about what exactly to check for.

How can you tell if the SCR’s are OK or damaged. There are no visual signs of damage. I am getting a water fault again and have tried all of your other suggestions.  Thanks

SCR pic