How to replace cracked collar on sm20-2 side mount de multiport

collar is cracked and dripping a little. Do i have to purchase the collar and adapter ? And hacksaw the end off?

Hi Kendra,

Would it possible for you to post a few photos of your cracked valve? This would allow us to give you the best suggestion for repair.

Its not the valve itself its the clooar that attaches… thankfully not cracked all the way through. I was able to put some extra teflon tape and the hose clamp to temporarily fix

Thanks for the photo! Can you pull any model #'s or manufacturer names off of the side of the filter? It looks like you may have a Jandy DEL filter? Or if you could post one more wide shot showing the entire filter that would be really helpful.

Hi Kendra,

I believe these SM20 Valve Unions are what you will need, if for whatever reason these do not work then you would need this complete new Jandy DEL48 Valve The SM20 valve was made by Praher and Jandy used this Praher valve on their DEL48 filters. Here is a link to the parts breakdown of the Praher SM20 Valve and here is a link to the parts breakdown for Jandy DEL48 Valve you can see they made a few modifications to the way the valve attaches to the filter so this is why I’m not 100% sure those unions will work on the DEL48. Jandy does not sell the unions by themselves but Praher does (confusing I know).

The one that i have is a little bit different than the schematic… it appears in the schematic that the pipe that the collar is attached to can be taken apart. The one that i have is all one piece… theres no way to remove the cracked collar short of breaking it completely… but then i wouldnt be able to get a new one on… its crazy to me that ill have to but an entire new valve because  of a collar…ill send better picture of it when i get home from work so you can see better what im talking about

I know it does stink, but for that model you will need the complete new valve listed here… Jandy DEL48 Valve

Thanks patrick !! And yup it does suck! But i kinda thought thats what was going to happen.

Sorry Kendra, if we can be of any help please let us know.

Ok now that i have you heres another problem… im sucking air from somewhere… my skimmer basket is low… not bubbles… originally the multiport was leaking from waste pipe so i replaced the spider gasket which les to the cracked collar. It was better for like a day then progressively got worse. Ive tried the pouring water trick on all the pipes and valves with the hose on the suction side of pump…nothing leakingfrom the multiport . Your website said possibly the motor shaft seal? The pump is 12 yrs old… rebuilt at 7 yrs and this past winter had housing gasket replaced. Any thoughts? Thanks kendra

And I forgot… im not losing water so its not the pipes…

Kendra,

Can you try taking a spray bottle of soapy water and shake it up to get it really sudsy, then spray all of the pipe fittings, unions, valves on the suction side of the pump as well as the lid of the pump. You will need to look very closely but you will want to see if the bubbles get sucked in anywhere, if they do then that is your suction leak. If you tried this approach with pouring water and not soap then most likely nothing would have shown up for you. Please report back.

Ok so i tried the soapy water and no bubble sucking that i cud see… i did hear a sucking noise coming from the chlorinator while i was there… i found that the screw on the cap was loose so i fixed that… i put on waste to get rid air in basket next day same thing water not even touching the top… i took the top off checked the o ring cleaned it and lubed it up again… put in waste again to get rid of air… and thats where im at right now… ill check later to see how its going, ill keep you updated.

Thanks kendra

nope still sucking air from somewhere… i swear to god i can hear it either coming from the multiport or the pump… but that wuddnt be the suction side… so im at a loss

Is it that you are sucking air? Or that your suction line has a possible clog? Just throwing that out there? Somtimes the suction side line from skimmer to pump may have a possible clog?

Ill try anything at this point… so i bought a hose bladder…tried both sides, from skimmer to pump and from pump to skimmer… i was expecting alot of bubbling an such but it was a few little bubbles…so is my water pressure nit strong enough? Or is that indicative of a clog?.. if i switch the vakve back and forth from skimmer to main drain it doesn’t change the water in the skimmer pot as ive seen on sine videos…