New Hayward DE Filter-Pump keeps losing prime-filter pressure high

I just purchased a brand new Hayward DE Filter. Within 30 minutes sometimes, my pressure will increase and I will start getting air bubbles in my pump until it gets to the point where it loses prime and I have to rebump the filter and restart. Does anyone know why this keep happening? When I first purchased the filter, the store said that until the pool is clean, it would do this as the filter is sucking a bunch of debris from the water. However, my pool is sparkling now, so I know the filter is working, but the pressure still gets high and the pump loses prime. Anyone have any suggestions?

It sounds like you have the Hayward Perflex filter. You may have to take the DE “fingers” out and manually spray them off and soak them in a filter cleaner. It’s likely that they are clogged up and that’s why the pressure rises so quick.

Hello,

Thanks so much for your prompt response. I have heard that before and even went and bought the wand that goes with the filter to spray the fingers. However, it is so weird because the filter has never ever lasted an entire day without bumping the handle. Now that the pool is clean, no grean anymore, the filter last longer than the first week. I have only had the thing 3 weeks I believe.