No-Flow

I have prepared my pool, cleaned it, filled it and turned the pump on.  The read out shows “no flow.”  I have back flushed it, rinsed it, recirculated it, and still no flow.  There doesn’t seem to be any flow going by on “filter.”

Guidance?

We’d be glad to assist you. Are all of the other diverter valves open so water is flowing correctly through the system? What is the make and model of the filter?

All the valves are open.  Flow goes without restriction on rinse, recirculate, and backwash.  The site glass shows plenty of flow on these settings, but none when set on filter.

The info plate on the filter is gone, so I don’t know the model number.  I bought the house 2 years ago.

It is normal to not see any action in the sight glass when in filter mode. If you have a sand filter, it may be time to replace the sand. If it’s a DE filter, the grids may need to be replaced.

I figured you would suggest that.  Not sure when it was done before, but I believe it may have been 4 or 5 years.

Thanks

You’re welcome. Let us know how it gets resolved.

It is not resolved because I also received advice from your store to replace the flow sensor.  Where do I find it, and how can I tell if it is bad?

I pulled the flow switch, sent part number, but was told that the sensor is different.  Where is it?

What system is alerting you that there is no flow? Salt system, heater, heat pump?

The read out has a red light that blinks when the system is turned on.  If it’s working right, it stops blinking in about 15 seconds.  If it isn’t, the red light stays on.

The red light stays on all the time.

What system has the readout with the red light?

The Panel on the wall that shows the chlorine level in the water. There are various listings with lights.  The no-flow light is red.  It blinks red when you start the system until it has a reading on the flow.  After the flow is read, it turns off.  If it doesn’t read any flow, it stays on showing no flow.  That is what it is doing, even after resetting the system.

We need to know the make and model of the control system in order to recommend the correct sensor.

It is Hayward.  There is nothing that says “Model #”, but it has a Bar code says AQR9, below is another bar code that reads 3A15169-102036

Also a sticker that reads Recommended Pool Chemistry and has G1-920029G REV H

EPA Reg# 6977-RI

Ths is all the information on the control system.

The flow sensor for the Hayward AQR9 is part number 2807-38. Before you replace that, you should confirm whether the problem is the sensor or the actual flow. If the pool jets appear to be flowing like normal, the issue is the sensor. If the water from the jets is weak, you need to find the reason why.

Check out our article titled “Why are my pool jets not working?”