Pentair IntelliChlor IC-40 status

Hello, I have a Pentair IntelliChlor IC-40 for 5 years, I am starting to feel that it is starting to not produce as much chlorine as before, but I am not sure about it yet.

I have performed the status mode test and it seems that it has reached 100% LED but the cell light it is still green. I would appreciate to have your interpretation about that. I have uploaded a video to YouTube with the status mode: https://youtu.be/k7vI6sapQy0

My swimming pool has a 24,000 gallons and is in Panama and we enjoy it all the year, therefore the device has been running around 6 hours per day for 5 years, and it makes sense that the device has been working for more than 10,000 hours. I usually have it setup at 40% or 60% with cyanuric acid between 35 and 60 and salt between 2,500 and 3,500 (it rains a lot here in rainy season)

In case that I would need to replace it, I have the following doubts:

-      -  Is there any material difference in the useful life of the device depending on the chlorine output percentage that is selected? I mean, if I use it at 20% I will have a similar useful life than if I use it at 80%? In that case I would consider to replace it with an IC-60. -       - Looking at the specifications on your site I can see that IC-40 and IC-60 have the same size and seem to use the same Power Center, I would like to confirm that I could install an IC-60 where I had an IC-40

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards, Carlos.

Hello Carlos - The status mode test seems to indicate that the cell is at least 10,000 hours old and it’s time to replace the cell. The IC60 cell has the ability to produce more chlorine than the IC40 cell. If you run the IC40 cell at 40%, you can probably run the IC60 cell at 20% and produce the same amount of chlorine. This means the IC60 is running half the amount of time as the IC40. This should result in the IC60 cell lasting 50% more time than the IC40.

You can use your current power center. The IC40 and IC60 use the same one.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. I will be confirming if as I am noticing the unit is not able to generate the needed chlorine and in that case I will get the IC60.

Good luck Carlos! Let us know how everything works out.

Probably this is a dumb question, but I asume that if my chlorine test reflects that the device it is generating chlorine (while it seems at lower rate) I can chose not to replace it inmediately.

Or I am missing anything?

Thank you!

The chlorine output of the salt cell may diminish slowly. I would keep testing it and replace the cell once it can’t keep the free chlorine above 2 ppm.