Pool pump

Hi. I just had my Pentair Whisperflo motor replaced with a brand new OEM motor. The pump is having a hard time starting (hums). I have to flip the manual switch on the pool timer several timea for it to start. I was told, since it’s new, the bearings can be tight. Is this true and, if not, what else could be the issue? The previous motor worked like a champ, with no issies, until it started humming too. I was told I needed a new motor.

An easy and cheaper fix is to check your capacitor.   Only about $8 or so from Home Depot or Locke Supply.   This could be the culprit.

1 Like

Shouldn’t the new motor have come with a new capacitor? It’s the thing on top of the motor right?

Hello Shawna - It’s possible that the new motor has a bad capacitor. We’ve also seen issues when a customer gets an uprated motor to replace a full rated motor. The uprated motors are not as strong and can struggle to turn the impeller. Is the total HP of the new motor the same as the original motor?

To calculate total HP, multiply the HP x SF (service factor).

1 Like

This is the info that I found.  It’s a 1 HP which is the same as the old one.

THIS IS ORIGINAL PENTAIR WHISPERFLO MOTOR SERVICE FACTOR SF 1.65 ENERGY EFFICIENT
SERVICE FACTOR 1.65 X 1 = 1.65 HP TOTAL HP

Pentair WhisperFlo WFE-4, 1 HP, Full Rated, Almond Single Speed Replacement Motor, Energy Efficient (071314S)

• Product Dimensions: 22.5 x 9 x 11.5 inches ; 31.6 pounds
  • 208-230/115v
  • 1 HP Full Rated
  • Single Speed
  • Energy Efficient
  • 1 yr Manuacturer Warranty

I would make sure the wires have a good connection on the motor terminal and at the timer. If that checks out, I would contact the supplier who sold the motor. It should be covered under warranty.

1 Like

I have my contractor friend coming out to check the electrical connection.  I’m thinking that could be the issue.

1 Like

So, we had a certified electrican come out and check all the electrical to the pool.  Everything is in perfect shape.  We got the pool pump to start after flipping the timer switch multiple times and he checked the voltage of the pump.  Everything was as it should be.  I should note, I turned off the power to the pump and stuck my hand in the wet end of the pump to try and turn the impeller and I couldn’t move it.  Also, the pump is leaking at the pipe on top of it.  I’m wondering if it’s an issue with the impeller.  It’s just weird that the pump will sometimes kick on after flipping the timer switch multiple times.  When the pump in on, it works like a charm!