Pool Pump

Looking to replace my pool pump,

presently have a Hayward Maxi Flo pump 2 Hp

looking for better efficiency

I have a 36 to 40k gallon pool 48 x 24 kidney shape, 3.5 to 10 feet deep, hard to calculate exact galls, but took 4 tankers to fill when I had it replastered, it’s old, all 1.5 inch piping

3 returns  plus bottom drain , 2 skimmers,

the bottom drain is piped separately and the skimmers piped together,  the two 1.5 inch pipes headed off together to 1.5’ to the pump.

I have a large 6020 Hayward de filter

approx 95 feet of pipe on the return side, 65 feet on the skimmer side 35’ on the main drain

which in my calc makes the head very high…

can I use a 2’ variable speed pump, recipe the above grade piping all to 2" get more efficiency and better flow at the returns??

I’m in MA the pump runs 24/7 for the first 60 days and 12hrs per day the last 75days of our season.

please advise

Hi Glenn, Thanks for the information! Yes I would suggest this Waterway 2.7 HP Variable Speed Pump and then replace the above ground piping with 2" as you stated. Also when re-piping try to eliminate as many 90/elbows as possible as this will really help your flow rate. We put together this Video on Common Pool Plumbing Mistakes which you may want to check out.

You will save a ton on your operational costs by upgrading to a Variable Speed Motor normally 50%-70%.  Here is an article we wrote on the Energy Savings of a Single Speed Pool Pump Vs. a Variable Speed Pool Pump.

Is this pump in stock

what’s the lead time to me , East coast Boston

Yes this pump is in stock and the delivery time would be 5-7 business days.