Pool Pump Loses Prime

I have a Hayward variable speed pump and lately I’ve noticed that as soon as I turn the pump off, the pump basked immediately loses water and the next time I turn on the pump it takes about 2 minutes to prime the pump and get pressure in the sand filter. I’ve read the previous posts related to pump losing prime but not sure my situation is the same. Note: I do have a spa connected to the system and a valve used to fill and overflow the spa and overnight the spa level is down significantly.

Hello IggyWan - You either have an air leak or the valve that controls the spa has gone bad. I would start with trying to find the air leak. Below are some of the more common causes of an air leak.

Pump lid O-rings are a habitual offender of air leaks. The O-ring can expand or deteriorate over time and allow air to enter the pump. You can try applying a silicone or Teflon lubricant to see if it helps, but often times it needs to be replaced.

Plumbing fittings will also draw air. A popular technician trick is to use burning incense. While the pump is running, wave the burning incense near suspected areas. The smoke will be drawn in, if there is a leak. Check the fitting on the pump intake, the couplings and elbows. Cut out and replace any fittings that have an air leak.

Valves can be inspected like the plumbing fittings. Diverter valves will usually have internal O-rings. These O-rings can easily be replaced to fix an air leak. Simple ball valves are not usually repairable and need to be replaced, if there is a leak.

Drain plugs are found on most pumps. These plugs are usually used to drain the pump when a pool is winterized. They should be tightened firmly into the pump. Inspect the drain plug and drain plug O-ring. Replace them if they look decrepit.

Hello InyoRob - thank you for the reply and list of things to check. I reviewed all the items you listed and checked, cleaned and reinstalled the O-Ring and when I turned the pump back on and after the pump was primed and the pressure stabilized and shut the pump off again and I definitely heard the sucking sound of the pump immediately losing water and when I put my ear down by the pump I found where the leak is coming from…I don’t know much about the construction of the pump/motor but where the pump section and the motor section are mated together there’s a seam between them and that’s where it’s coming from. So know they question is how to repair that? Thanks, IggyWan

There is a housing gasket between the seal plate and pump housing. What is the model name of your Hayward VS pump?

InyoRob, Thanks for the reply. I misstated the make of the pool pump. It’s a Pentair Variable Speed Pump The PN is 011018 and it was manufactured 06/2012. Thanks!

The part number for your Intelliflo housing gasket is 5074-31.

I’ll try that and see if that solves the issue. Thanks for your help!

You’re welcome. Good luck!