Pump and filter replacement

We have a 30 x 50 inground pool.  It has a variable depth from 2 ft to 8 ft.   Based on my calculation it is 48000 gal pool.  The pool was installed in 1972 and has been recently repaired and painted, looks like new.  The issue is the there is little circulation.  The pump is a 2.25hp the motor was just replaced this year, the orginal was a 2 hp.  It is all 2" pvc plumbing, however the flow meter is only showing 65 gpm.  There is little to now skiiming action from the 4 install wall skimmers.  Need help to determine the issue we are having.  Is the pump undersized???

We’d be glad to assist you. Did the flow rate drop to 65 gpm after the new motor was installed or is this a new issue?

It has always been running there.  I cannot even tell you the age of the pump.  But I know its been here for a while.  I know its a Hayward pump.  I can sent you pictures if that will help

What is the pressure reading on the filter gauge? Are there any air bubbles coming out of the jets or is there a build-up of air in the pump strainer?

If we go the route of trying to size up a pump, we’ll need to know the feet of head. Listed below are a couple of sources that will help you determine the feet of head.

How to Measure Total Dynamic Head with Gauges

How Do I Calculate Feet of Head for My Pool

Two of the Jets closest to the pump flow ok, as you go further way the flow is low and does bubble

I’d check out the following video on tips for finding the cause of low water pressure. If that doesn’t identify the issue, we’ll have to go the route of sizing up a stronger pump.

Will need to do some troubleshooting on the pump.  I’ll get back to you when i have some data.

1 Like