Purchased A.O. Smith 1 HP Round Flange 56J Up Rate Motor - B228S to replace Hayward Super Pump

After receiving verification from an INYOPools phone representative, I purchased an A.O. Smith 1 HP Round Flange 56J Up Rate Motor - B228S to replace my dead Hayward Super Pump.  I was told this pump was compatible and would replace the Super Pump easily.  I needed to have an experienced professional do this changeover and now after priming prior to start up, water begins to flow into pool skimmer basket easily and then suddenly skimmer basket is sucked dry and no water entering from either side.  I’m thinking it is almost working backwards???  Also, when pump is attached the only way it can be, the seep hole is not located on the bottom to allow for draining.  At wits end!! Help…anyone!

If it were somehow working backwards, it would be blowing water into the skimmer. Make sure the valves before the pump are open so that water can flow to the pump. They may have been closed when the motor was changed.

If the valves are open and the pump is running dry, you may have a suction side air leak. Check out the video below for more tips on where to look.

When looking at the impeller I was told it should be moving counterclockwise.  It is turning clockwise.  Also, the weep hole is on the top and not on the bottom like my Hayward super pump; however, this is the item recommended by your phone representative as being the proper replacement.

The B228SE can be used on the Hayward Super Pump. Something about the installation seems off. Can you post a couple of pictures of how the motor is installed?

Please let me know if there is some other picture view that might better help you figure out what our problem is.  Thanks!

In the first picture it looks like the motor is in the correct position but then it is rotated in the next pictures. My guess would be that the motor mounting plate and seal plate were installed upside down. Then the motor was turned over to try and make it fit.

The video below is about changing the shaft seal but it may help explain how to reassemble the parts to the new motor.