Replace Motor or entire Pool Pump? Is there a better soluation? PLEASE HELP

I have an in-ground pool that is about 18,000 gallons (using pool calculator) and my pool pump stopped working. The pump will start up and prime with water entering the pump and then it just stops pumping water and there is loud click noise that sounds like a switch or breaker inside the pump motor.  The motor will “stay on” and make a humming noise. If I turn the pump off and then try to restart it, it will just hum and not “turn over” and the motor will heat up. The impeller turns freely so it is not jammed. I went to the pool store and they said I needed a new motor if I wanted to install it or I could just buy a new pump. I haven’t replaced the capacitor and I do not know if my motor has 2 or just 1 capacitors. Another thing I noticed was that when the pump is working for the first 30 seconds, there appears to be some water leaking where the housing attaches the motor. Check out this video I uploaded of the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lewXpPgbv0

My current equipment: 1) Jandy Stealth Pool Pump JHPU 1.0, this exact pump is discontinued and I think it is an “upward” flowing  2) Emerson EB654 C Flange Pool Motor 1 HP – replaced original motor more than 5 years ago 3) 2” PVC pipe with Jandy Valves 4) Jandy cartridge filter 580 Any thoughts on what the problem is with my pump? Do I need a new motor? New entire unit?

Hello Swamp Pool,

Thank you for the video. It speaks volumes to what issues you are having. First up is the problems with your pump. You have a shaft seal leak allowing water to damage the motor. Over time, this leak will corrode your bearings causing your motor to overheat and fail. The description you made in regards to the issues you are having lead me to recommend you replace your motor. You will need to reference the information on the MOTOR label to determine which motor, Up-Rated or Full Rated,

First up is the problems with your pump. You have a shaft seal leak allowing water to damage the motor. Over time, this leak will corrode your bearings causing your motor to overheat and fail. The description you made in regards to the issues you are having lead me to recommend you replace your motor. You will need to reference the information on the MOTOR label to determine which motor, Up-Rated or Full Rated, is the correct replacement.  You will also need to replace the seals for your pump with the Tune Up Kit Jandy JHP + JHPU Pump Series - GOKIT77. Here is a link to the Jandy Stealth Original (2002-2008) JHP & JHPU Parts page.

Second, Do you need a new pump? The truthful answer is, I don’t know. Here are some questions to answer about your pump. Is the lid in good shape? Are there any leaks coming from the body? Are the connectors cracked? Are the internal components, diffuser or impeller, broken? Answering yes to one or more of these may lead you to want to replace the pump. You can always replace parts, but when the cost of parts exceeds the cost of a new pump, replacing parts really makes no sense.

Please let me know if you have additional questions I did not answer. Thank you for your question.

Inyo Alan

Thank you for helping me out Alan. Do you have any suggestions on the Brand, Make and Model of replacement pumps? I have done some research and I didn’t know what types of pump could replace my current Jandy Stealth JHPU 1.0, which is a 1 HP Uprated pump = 1.25 Effective HP. Could I get a larger uprated pump, like a Jandy Stealth Pump 1 1/2 HP Up Rate - SHPM15 = 1.65 Effective HP? Could I get a full rated 1.0 Pump = 1.65 Effective HP? Would an increase in Effective HP on an Uprated pump provide more water circulation? What about a Full Rated?

My setup includes an intake with two Jandy 4724 2-Port 1-1/2 to 2-Inch Positive Seal NeverLube Valves, with the 1.5" PVC running to the inground pool. The 2" PVC comes together into one pipe that enters the pump. I am not exactly sure, but I think one of the 1.5" PVC intake pipes is for only one of the strainer baskets and the other intake is for a strainer basket and a bottom of the pool strainer.

Hello Swamp Pool,

Here are a few replacement options for you if you are considering the same Jandy manufacturer line. Please keep in mind that you may need to do some slight replumbing during the installation.

Jandy Stealth Pump 1 HP Full Rate - SHPF10

Jandy FloPro 1 HP Single Speed Pump - FHPM10

Jandy Stealth Pump 1 HP Up Rate - SHPM10

Here is a link to How To Understand True Pump Horsepower - Up Rated vs Full Rated. This should help you understand the difference between Up Rated and Full Rated pumps and motors.

You can upgrade your pump from 1 HP to a 1.5 HP if you have had issues with circulation in your pool or if you have added water features like solar panels or a fountain to the circulation system. If none of these apply, I would not recommend upgrading your pump to a higher HP.

Thank you,

Inyo Alan