Replacement Motor

My pool pump motor is making loud noises as though the bearings are failing. The # is GE 5kc38sn6084ax. Three questions: Is the PL2102 a suitable replacement? What about the USQ1102 ?

I believe the pump is a Pentair and have attached a photo since I find no part #. I ordered a kit that contains shaft seal, etc (10/2016) and hope that is all I need?

Hello RevNorm,

The correct replacement motor for model #5kc38sn6084ax is the 1 HP Square Flange Motor (C1245, B2853). This is the direct apples to apples replacement. You can use the alternative USQ1102 or PL2102 motors as well but they do differ in the model number by a letter.

When changing out a motor, it is always recommended to replace your seals and gaskets. Unless you have other parts that are damaged, this should be all you need to complete the installation.

Thank you for your question!

Inyo Alan

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll follow your suggestions.

You are welcome. Thank you for your order and have a Happy New Year!

Will the GOKIT5, which I purchased 10/2016 be adequate for my pump (shaft seal, gaskets, etc)?

The GOKIT5 is the correct tune-up kit for the Pentair Challenger pump.

The the 1 HP Square Flange Motor (C1245, B2853) is not a direct, apples to apples replacement for my motor since it is 6.5" in diameter, versus a required 5.5" However, I was able to modify my existing motor stand to accomodate the C1245,B2853. In the future, please give appropriate, correct advice to DIYers:-(

Hello RevNorm - We’re sorry to hear you had some issues. The motor we recommended has a 56Y frame. The Challenger pump would have originally come with a 56Y frame motor. At some point, someone must have installed a 48Y GE motor on your Challenger pump instead of the correct 56Y frame motor.

The new motor is in and running smoothly (after the motor mount was modified). Thanks for your follow-up.

Hi RevNorm,

I am glad everything worked out as it and your motor is running smoothly. We do appreciate the heads up on your motor installation. Thank you for your order and have a great day!