Upgrade a Single Speed Motor to Variable

Hoping to get some input on what kind & size motor/pump to purchase so I can upgrade to a variable pump and to install it myself.

This is what I have:

Poop Pump: Stealth

Model SHPM 2.0

Serial: T11FI0863

HP 2.0

Motor: Model B855 - Century Centurion

Type: CX

HP 2.0

Frame: Y56Y

Amps SF 10.0

SF 1.10

Panel: Aqualink PDA only

Can I upgrade only the motor and keep with the pump? What model would be recommended to replace my 2.0 fixed speed?

Thanks!

Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for the information! Yes, I would suggest just upgrading your motor. You would need the following parts.

Please note that all of the programming for the various speeds of the pump will be done directly on the motor and then you can schedule your Jandy AquaLink to power the motor on and off and then the programming on the motor will take over from there.

We put together this video on How to Install a Variable Speed Pool Motor which you might find helpful when you tackle this project.

awesome! Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there any issue with the Frame difference? Mine is Y56Y and the suggested 48Y.

The pool pump is for 2.0 HP, so any concern in put a 2.7 HP?

Hi Eduardo,

No concern with the 48Y vs. 56Y the only difference is that the barrel is a bit larger on the 56Y but the mounting face is exactly the same, also the 48Y comes with a spacer if replacing a 56Y motor. Also no issue with going up to 2.7 HP, this will just give you the ability to ramp your pump up to 2.7 HP if you get into any demanding situations where you need more turnover, like an algae bloom. For most the time you will try and run the pump at the lowest speed possible while still maintaining crystal clear water, as the lower you can run the pump the more you will save on your power bill.

1 Like

thanks! just purchased

one last thing…

what about to control the speed with the Aqualink PDA only? I will need an adapter?

Hi Eduardo,

There are limitations with that adapter. That includes only being able to program 4 speeds and taking up 4 relays or 4 low voltage inputs.

hum… I see… what would be the best option to be able to control the speed too?

Change the whole pump? Maybe go with a Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST – 3HP?

The best bet, if you wanted to control the pump through the Aqua Link, would be this Jandy 2.7 HP Variable Speed Motor. This motor does not have a controller on the motor itself but is designed to be controlled through an Aqua Link. The other parts you ordered like the impeller and seal kit would stay the same, but you would use this motor in place of the V-Green.

1 Like