What gas pool heater to get

  • Last Post 26 March 2019
KevinS posted this 22 March 2019

Hello I’m trying to figure out what the recommendation is from a reliability standpoint on a natural gas pool heater 350000 to 400000 btu

trying to figure out from online reviews but lots of complaints of units rusting out or developing leaks after 1 season looking at Hayward , jandy, Pentair and others they all seem to have bad reviews


any suggestions ?

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
InyoRob posted this 22 March 2019

Hello Kevin - We'd recommend a Raypak model with a cupro-nickel heat exchanger. The cupro-nickel heat exchangers are more durable than the copper version. Check out our available Raypak Cupro-Nickel pool heaters.

KevinS posted this 24 March 2019

Another question,


Can the raypak be vented out the back of a pool shed or does it have to be the roof

InyoRob posted this 24 March 2019

You can vent it horizontally if you add the Raypak D-2 power vent.

Raypak D-2 Power Vent IID Models 206A-267A 240V - 009832

Taljr2002 posted this 24 March 2019

Kevin,   I will have to agree with Rob here as I am running 2 Raypak 406A heaters @ 399,000 btu.    I am currently enclosing the pool pump area and running a stack out the top of the roof and decided against the power vent which CAN as Rob says go out the side wall.

I have run 2 of these for 6 years now with no rusting problems with both being completely outdoors all this time.  One will now be inside.   

  • Liked by
  • InyoRob
KevinS posted this 25 March 2019

thanks for the quick response 


one other question is it is it worth the extra money to get the copper nickel heat exchanger over copper


i don’t have salt water but am planning to do that as well possibly next year

InyoRob posted this 25 March 2019

Copper is more susceptible to corrosion when the pH fluctuates. If you are disciplined and test the water weekly, you would be ok with a copper heat exchanger. 

KevinS posted this 25 March 2019

Ok getting a bit of misinformation from the local pool place

what is actually required to vent the raypak our the roof of the pool shed? I’m being told it’s an adapter and then another $1500 worth of pipe/ vent from the gas company to finish the job do they know what they are talking about ?

InyoRob posted this 26 March 2019

To vent through the roof, you'd need an indoor stack kit. They cost around $120-$150. You'll then need additional piping to vent it up and out. They may be including labor and the cost of the additional piping. Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the cost because we do not offer this service. It may be worth getting a second estimate.

Raypak Indoor Stack Kit, R336A, R367A - 009840