Replacement Hayward light fixture for an old niche (SP-555)

Similar to an earlier post by Kimberly410 back in 2017, I find myself needing to replace a Hayward light. The unit appears to be a SP-540 and the niche is SP-555. The recommended replacement in 2017 was a 500w 120v Duralite with a 50’ cord model number SP0573LN50. Unfortunately, it appears that model has been discontinued. Is there a newer model that I can use with the same niche?

Hi FloridaMark, You can use this Aladdin 500P Light Adapter Ring that will fit any niche from 9-3/4” to 12” solving the problem of trying to repair an obsolete light, or trying to reconstruct a niche to fit a standard light. The unique feature of these light rings is that they can be installed in a few minutes and accept a standard light. Simply remove the old light, insert the Adaptable Light Ring, tighten the retaining screws, and install the new light. It’s that easy. After Installing the light ring then you could go with one of these Pentair Amerlite Light Fixtures

Thanks, Patrick. I have separately reached out to Hayward, for confirmation that the adapter will work with the niche. If it does, I will be ordering one, although I will probably go with the 500C.

Thanks Mark! By the way here is the 500C Light Ring

So, I have ordered both the Aladdin 500P and the 500C, and without the use of a hacksaw or blowtorch, neither one appears to be the solution. Both adapter rings are too wide to fit the opening of the niche, and neither ring allows for any adjustment. If I bend the plastic on the 500P, I can force it into the hole, but it won’t stay there.

For sizing purposes, the two screws are 10" apart, which means the ID of the niche is less than 10". According to the Aladdin Catalog (see page 21), none of their products will fit.

For grins, I’ve added two additional photos. One of the ring installed witout force (see ovehanging plastic piece), and one of the ring forced into the niche. I will be returning both rings.

So, I have ordered both the Aladdin 500P and the 500C, and without the use of a hacksaw or blowtorch, neither one appears to be the solution. Both adapter rings are too wide to fit the opening of the niche, and neither ring allows for any adjustment. If I bend the plastic on the 500P, I can force it into the hole, but it won’t stay there.

For sizing purposes, the two screws are 10" apart, which means the ID of the niche is less than 10". According to the Aladdin Catalog (see page 21 ) via worktime

, none of their products will fit.

For grins, I’ve added two additional photos. One of the ring installed witout force (see ovehanging plastic piece), and one of the ring forced into the niche. I will be returning both rings.

Thanks, . I have separately reached out to Hayward, for confirmation that the adapter will work with the niche. If it does, I will be ordering one, although I will probably go with the 500C.

Florida Mark,

I have the exact same fixture.  What did you finally do?  My fixture work but I would like to upgrade to an LED bulb as my pool light is dim.

Bill