How To Identify a Replacement Pool Bulb / Light

WRITTEN BY:  Inyo Pools

  4.5 out of 5 stars on 9 ratings
(Click on a star to add your rating)

When your pool or spa light fails and you need to replace the bulb, the first question you have to answer is what kind of light do you have. You will need to know the manufacture name, model #, voltage and wattage of your light. This information is generally on a label on the backside of the light fixture. This guide shows you how to get to that information.

Step by Step


Step 1

To avoid possible electric shock, turn off the power to the pool light at the circuit breaker.

Step 2

Most pool light fixtures are secured to the niche in the pool wall with a single screw at the top of the light. Remove this screw. If the pool light is just below the surface, you may be able to remove the screw by leaning over the pool deck. In this case I had to get in the pool and hold my breath to remove the screw. Wear goggles.

Step 3

Pull the pool light fixture out of the niche. You should have enough excess cord to be able to lay the light fixture on the pool deck. Note how the excess cord is stored in the niche so you can replace it the same way when you reinstall the pool light.

Step 4

Lay the light fixture gently on the pool deck.

Step 5

Look for any information that may be on the lens of the pool light. In this case the manufacturer's name, American Products Company, can be seen on the lens.

Step 6

Look on the backside of the pool light fixture for an identification label.

Step 7

This label was in the water 12 years and a little hard to read but we were still able to read the information we needed: model # H-400-BCL, watts 400 and volts 120. Using this data we identified the light as a Pentair Amerlite 400w 120V. Note - Pentair bought American Products.

Step 8

Replace the light fixture by first recoiling and storing the excess cable as observed in step 3. Then push the light fixture back into the niche.

Step 9

Replaced the single screw to secure the pool light fixture to the niche

Step 10

Restore power to the swimming pool light fixture.


(1 to 36 of 36)

lightn00b  Posted: 7/23/2018 

My pool light bulb went out recently. I've retrieved the existing housing, lens, gasket, etc. For the life of me, I can't figure out what I have so I can determine what to replace it with. The lens is a Hayward SP-540-Z-1[LG]. The housing has a Hayward label on it. The serial number is complete, except for the first number. I have T-?951494. The model number label actually contains four model numbers. Next to each model number is a checkbox indicate which one I own, and the corresponding wattage, voltage, and bulb type. All four checkboxes are empty with absolutely no sign of which had been checked. The listed models are: SP0570N (100W,12V,R30); SP0571N (200W,12V,R40); SP0572LN (300W,120V,R40); and SP0573LN (500W,120V,R40). The label on the bulb is mostly gone now, too. I can barely make anything out except... "5....../..........20V" "Pool & Spa" " . . . . . ." ...and I'm not even sure the first number is a 5. I suppose I can assume that it's a 120V bulb even with the 1 faded out. Maybe this narrows it down to the SP0572LN or SP0573LN, but how can I tell which so I make sure I get the right bulb? Also, I would like to convert this to LED. Do I need a new housing, or just a new (LED) bulb and gasket.

Inyopools  Posted: 6/1/2018 

According to Hayward, their Universal Colorlogic LED light will fit your Anthony niche. They are currently only available in 12 volt. This means you'd have to add a transformer if your current light is 120 volt.

Anonymous  Posted: 5/31/2018 

Hi, I pulled my light fixture out this afternoon. The light fixture is an Anthony Pools model 18. It was half filled with water and the inside was rusted out. Any suggestion for the light fixture replacement? I have no intention to touch the niche at this moment.

Inyopools  Posted: 2/5/2018 

Anonymous ( LED bulb replacement) - American Products was bought out by Pentair and their American Products Light fixture is now called Pentair Amerlite. Your old incandescent bulb can be replaced with an LED bulb. See the parts list for the Pentair Amerlite Pool Light. Key #9 in that list gives you the bulb options. If your light power lines go through a transformer (usually around the house foundation), you will want the 12 V option. Without the transformer, use the 120 V option. Under each voltage option you have the choice of an 18 Watt or 35 Watt bulb. 18 Watt LED is equivalent to a 200 Watt incandescent bulb. 35 W is equivalent to a 300 Watt incandescent bulb. I would suggest buying the 35 Watt option. The darker colors of an LED light are not as bright as the white incandescent light. When you replace the bulb, you will also have to replace the lens gasket. See Key #7 for those options. Also, see our guide on "How to Replace a Pool Light Bulb"

anonymous  Posted: 2/4/2018 

I have a 35 y/o pool with a pool light that says "american products model cn-5 fixture housing use with models: BC R-100, 300, 400, 500 fixtures". Can't read the label on the bulb housing except E-0. Am I able to replace the BULB only with a LED color bulb ?

InyoPools Product Specialist Dennis R.  Posted: 10/4/2017 

Marty - Please call our office at 407-834-2200 and talk to one of our service reps. They will be able to help you answer this question.

Marty  Posted: 9/30/2017 

I want to replace a light in the pool.
Label reads: E41117 Under water lighting fixture for swimming pool - WET-Niche type No. R - 374006 Label# 98700600

InyoPools Product Specialist Dennis R.  Posted: 6/30/2017 

William R - From your part number, it looks like you have a Pentair light fixture. You have several LED light bulb options to choose from. See our guide on "How To Select a LED Color Changing Light to Replace an Old White Light". Also, since we wrote this guide, we have added newer LED bulbs to our inventory, Call us at 877-372-6038 and ask them about these other LED bulb options.

William R  Posted: 6/27/2017 

Hi, I'm looking for a replacement spa light. My current part number is 77310100 and it shows 100 watts by 120 volts and t–4 bulb type. Can you tell me which LED is the replacement? Thank you.

InyoPools Product Specialist Dennis R.  Posted: 6/9/2017 

Kirsten - Yes, we do sell white only LED bulbs. Give us a call at 877-372-6038 so we can make sure your light fixture will accept the proposed replacement light bulb.

Kirsten  Posted: 6/7/2017 

I have a spa light that blew out and needs to be replaced. Am I able to put in an LED light-just a regular one, not color changing- without replacing the entire light system? Someone told me the LED lasts longer...

InyoPools Product Specialist Dennis R.  Posted: 12/19/2016 

Mark in the light - Here is a link to our Pool Lights Niche page. Open up each of the listed niches and look at the pictures that show niche dimensions. These are the most common niches. Hopefully, on of them will match to your niche.

Mark in the light  Posted: 12/16/2016 

How do you tell what brand nitch you have? The pool light does not line up with the nitch I have. It is the smaller version. Thanks

InyoPools Product Specialist Dennis R.  Posted: 9/5/2016 

light fixture replacement - Here's a link to "How To Replace a Pool Light Fixture". Call us at 877-372-6038 if you need more information on what LED light fixture will fit in your existing light niche.

Anonymous  Posted: 9/3/2016 

Our pool light is not working on here is what is on the back:
American Products 98711300. How do I replace the entire light fixture with an LED option?

InyoPools Product Specialist Dennis R.  Posted: 9/2/2016 

Anthony - The number, 508928, does not come up in our system. Please call us at 877-372-6038 and one of our service reps will be able to tell you what light bulbs are compatible with your old American Products light fixture.

Anthony  Posted: 8/30/2016 

I want to replace the light bulb with an led color light system! When pulling out the housing the information is beyond faded, but there is a number that I could read 508928. The lens does say American products company. The system I want to replace it with only works with Amerlite and Pentair. Will this work with that model number found? Please advice

InyoPools Product Specialist Dennis R.  Posted: 7/21/2016 

kranjbar - The model number you provided, Model 60-xx5x, links to an older Pac Fab Hatteras Pool Light. Here is the parts list for that light that identified the applicable bulb and gasket replacements. If the picture does not match your light fixture or you need additional information, please call us at 877-372-6038 and talk to one of our service reps there.

kranjbar  Posted: 7/20/2016 

Hi, I am looking to replace our bulbs and gaskets but I can't figure out which housing I have. There are no brand names on the label but I found the following numbers and wanted to see if you can point me in the right direction:
Wet-niche type no L-270766
Model 60-xx5x
any help would be greatly appreciated!

InyoPools Product Specialist Dennis R.  Posted: 5/31/2016 

Davesnothere - From your information, this is a Pentair/ American Products bulb. Pentair bought American Products. If you don't have a transformer at the house, the bulb is probably 120V. To be sure, measure the voltage going to the light. As for the wattage, I would go with 400 watts as a compromise between 300 and 500 watts.

Davesnothere  Posted: 5/28/2016 

My light went out so I went to replace the bulb but there are no markings on the bulb. After looking everywhere on the fixture everything is faded beyond recognition except a number 533330. It's American products according to the lens. I can't find that model number to know if it's 120 X 300-400-500
Any idea by that 533330 of what it is?

InyoPools Product Specialist Dennis R.  Posted: 5/17/2016 

Walter - Yes, you can replace a high Watt bulb with a lower Watt bulb. See our guide on "How to Replace a Pool Light Bulb" for step by step instructions. The most important step is to replace the old gasket with a new one.

Walter  Posted: 5/17/2016 

Can I replace a bulb with a lower wattage bulb? Currently have 120V / 400 W light but it is too bright for my small pool.

InyoPools Product Specialist Dennis R.  Posted: 4/24/2016 

Tim - We generally sell 100 watt or 300 watt systems. No 400 watt systems. If you have the old incandescent lights, you probably have a 300 watt system. If you have converted over to LED lights with much reduced wattage, you can use the 100 watt system.

Tim  Posted: 4/22/2016 

I have a very rusty Intermatic pool light transformer and want to replace it but dont know whether to buy a 100 watt or 400 watt. Any way to tell?

Thanks, Tim

InyoPools Product Specialist Dennis R.  Posted: 3/16/2015 

12V LED - If you currently have a 120V Bulb and you want to replace it with a 12V LED, you must first install a transformer, generally at the house, to convert 120V to 12V. Without the transformer, you will blow the new bulb. Here's a link to a typical transformer: Intermatic 300 Watt Transformer

Anonymous  Posted: 3/15/2015 

Can I replace my old light bulb with a 12 volt LED? I'm not sure what the current voltage is?

InyoPools Product Specialist Dennis R.  Posted: 8/25/2013 

Short light cord - Sounds like a good approach. Tie a strong cord or fish tape to the light cable at the house connection end; pull out an extra 10' or 15' of cable on the pool end to get the light onto the deck; then pull the 10' to 15' back when you are done to reconnect it to the house box.

Anonymous  Posted: 8/24/2013 

I have a pool light on the deep end burned out but when I removed the light from the niche, I find there is not sufficient cable to raise the fixture to the pool deck in order to work on it. Not sure if I can tie onto cable and pull it through and back or if I should replace the entire light fixture, and if so, would the water have to be drained to below the light?

Ulrich  Posted: 7/4/2012 

Please advise which replacement light I need for an Anthony underwater fixure model # 16-30 low water cut off.120v 320W 30-50 feet cable,with a stainless steel face ring.Light must fit into original niche.My light and niche looks like the same as your demo pictures.
Thank you,

InyoPools Product Specialist Dennis R.  Posted: 6/30/2012 

No power to light - Take the light fixture apart again and check the power at the light lead to make sure you have power to the light.

Anonymous  Posted: 6/30/2012 

replaced bulb but have no power can u help

springkeli  Posted: 6/24/2012 

I took the fixture out and when I started to unscrew the bulb it broke . thats when I noticed this little spring. The spring is broken. All of the fixtures have this spring. Why and what purpose does it serve?

InyoPools Product Specialist Dennis R.  Posted: 5/31/2012 

Jack - I can't tell you exactly with more information, but..Many of the lights installed at that time were American Products, like the one in this. Go to this link and see if the parts look like yours. Also when you select a light or gasket from the list of parts, it will provide some dimensions to check against. Link is Note see bottom of product page. This light used to be sold under American Products.

Jack  Posted: 5/24/2012 

I have removed the pool light, but I don't see any identifying information on the lense and the label on the light itself is not ledgible. I was told that the pool is a Anthony pool (probably from 80's). My light fixture looks very similar to the one in the photo...I don't want to order the wrong replacement light fixutre. Any suggestions?

Anonymous  Posted: 2/2/2012 

Great illustrations, comments

Thank you very much!!