How to repair a leaking Hayward backwash valve

WRITTEN BY:  Inyo Pools

  3.39 out of 5 stars on 18 ratings
(Click on a star to add your rating)

One of the most common problems pool owners run across when maintaining and serving their swimming pool is a leaking backwash valve. The backwash valve is the valve which is mounted on either the top or  side of your filter tank and are specifically used clean sand filters or DE filters. One of the most popular filter manufactures in the world is Hayward Pool Products who also makes quite a few backwash valves. Based on the Hayward valve you have the fix varies slightly. This guide will help you determine which Hayward valve you have and then determine the proper fix for your situation.

Step by Step


Step 1

The first step you will take when determining how to fix your valve will be to obtain the model # of your valve. Typically this is located on the label on the top of the valve, normally there is a box named model no. and the valve # will be located in this box. The majority of Hayward valve part #’s start with this prefix SP7

Step 2

If you are having trouble finding the valve # on the label then you may be able to find a SP or SPX part # molded into the plastic of the body of the valve or the handle. Feel free to post a comment at the bottom of this guide with as much information about your filter as possible and we should be able to help identify your valve. Helpful information for us would be any part #’s off of the valve, the filter manufacture name, the filter model name, filter model #, filter square footage, number of positions the valve can be set to, plumbing size going into the valve and filter type (i.e. sand filter or D.E filter). Any or all of this information will help out a lot.

Step 3

If you have one of the following Hayward valves which is leaking then the appropriate fix would be to replace the spider gasket within the valve. Here is a detailed guide on How to Replace a spider gasket, this guide will walk you through all the steps needed to fix your backwash valve.

The following 1.5" Hayward valves can be fixed by simply replacing the spider gasket. The appropriate spider gasket for the valves below is the SPX0710XD.

SP711-13, SP710XALL, SP7122, SP7121, SPX0710X32, SP0710X62, SP0710XR50

The following 2" Hayward valves can be fixed by simply replacing the spider gasket. The appropriate spider gasket for the valves below is the SPX0715XD with the exception of the SP0740DE which uses the SPX0740D spider gasket.

SP715ALL, SPX715X32, SP0715X62, SP0715XR50, SP071621, SP071620T, SP0740DE

If you have any of the model #'s above then purchase the SPX0710XD or SPX0715XD spider gasket and move on to our How to Replace a spider gasket guide for easy step by step instructions on replacing the gasket.

If you have the SP0714T valve or any other model #'s then move on to step # 4 of this guide.

Step 4

The most common Hayward backwash valve is the SP0714T valve which is used on many of the Hayward top mount sand filters. If you have the SP0714T valve then the spider gasket cannot be replaced as it comes glued into the diverter on the valve. The appropriate fix for a leaking SP0714T valve would be to replace the diverter (part # SPX0714CA) which comes with the spider gasket glued into it. This is an easy enough fix, you would just need to remove the cover and handle assembly from the current valve and and swap out with the new diverter.

Step 5

The last style of Hayward valve is called a slide valve or plunger valve. The two most common model #'s for this valve are the SP0410X602S and the SP0410X502S. If you have either of these model #'s then the appropriate fix would be replace the gaskets within the valve using the following valve tune up kit There are also a few other fixes the Hayward Slide valve which have detailed in the guides below:

How to maintain a Hayward slide valve
How to replace a Hayward slide valve handle & piston assembly
How to replace a Hayward slide valve O-ring

Step 6

If you are still having trouble determining the fix for your Hayward backwash valve then please comment below with the information indicated in step #2 and we will let you know the appropriate fix. Also feel free to call us toll free at 1-877-372-6038 or connect with us on Live Chat with any questions.


(1 to 40 of 104)

Linda  Posted: 1/14/2019  Latest

Please help. My sand filter is leaking through backwash but model & serial #'s are blank. Hayward Vari-Flo XL. Rated flow = 75 GPM/284 LPM. Rated pressure = 50 PSI/3.5 BAR. Max head loss = 10 PSI/0.7 BAR. 1.5" inch pipe going into valve. 7 filter settings.

InyoPools Product Specialist Robert M.  Posted: 1/15/2019  Latest

Hello Linda - You have the Hayward SP714T valve. The most likely cause of your valve leaking is a defective gasket. Unfortunately, the gasket is not sold separately. You can either replace the key/seal assembly (4703-23) or the cover assembly (4703-20).

Tom  Posted: 12/23/2018 

Have a backwash leak but have no model number on my Hayward valve. Pool is 13,000 gallons, Can provide a photo

InyoPools Product Specialist Robert M.  Posted: 1/2/2019 

Hello Tom - We'd be glad to assist you. What is the model number of the Hayward filter? How many screws connect the top of the valve to the valve body?

Alan  Posted: 12/16/2018 

I have a sp 740 de diverter valve and I think i need the entire diverter assembly. There are some cracks in the dog ears. What diverter assembly do I need?

InyoPools Product Specialist Matt S.  Posted: 12/18/2018 

Hello - this is the parts diagram for the SP740DE valve. The diverter, also known as the key/stem assembly, is part number SPX0740C

Don  Posted: 10/19/2018 

can a crack in the valve housing be repaired. the crack is horizontal through the body of the valve just below flange area where screws secure handle portion to the bottom portion.

InyoPools Product Specialist Matt S.  Posted: 10/22/2018 

Hello Don - sealants like JB Weld can be used to sure up the crack. But that is a temporary fix if it is a fix at all. I would replace the body of the valve, the whole valve. If the pressure was high enough to damage the valve body or something hit it hard enough to damage it, you could have a couple of other issues that stem from this leak.

InyoPools  Posted: 8/27/2018 

Hello Vivian - The Hayward S166T filter uses the SP0714T valve. See Step 4 above.

vivian  Posted: 8/26/2018 

I have a Hayward S166T pro series high rate sand filler with 6 different settings and its leaking when I turn back to off I need the part number for that seal.

Matthew  Posted: 8/20/2018 

Hello Tracy - The SP0714G11M is the valve number. The parts diagram can be found on this page: Hayward Multiport Variflo XL 1 1/2" SP714T.

Tracy R.  Posted: 8/17/2018 

I have a Hayward SPO714G11M sand filter with 6 different settings and it's leaking from everywhere it seems. I need the part numbers for all the seals I can get. Thank you for your time

Matthew  Posted: 8/8/2018 

Hello Eli - if your spider gasket is completely missing, that would be a glaring reason as to why your valve is leaking from the backwash port. The S210T usually uses the SP0714T valve which has its spider gasket glued into the bottom of the diverter. If it is not there, then you need to replace it with the SPX0714CA.

Matthew  Posted: 8/7/2018 

Hello Joan - The most common valve used on the S180T is the SP714T Variflo. The replacement rotor with gasket is part number SP0714CA.

Matthew  Posted: 8/7/2018 

Hello Buck - As we cover in this guide, the issue is likely a back spider gasket, spring or a combination of malfunctioning parts.

Matthew  Posted: 8/7/2018 

The most common valve for the S166T Hayward Top Mount Sand Filter is the SP714T Variflo XL. The Key-Cover assembly is key 4, (SPX0714BA) or the diverter with gasket is key 9 (SPX0714CA) on the parts list.

Inyopools  Posted: 7/18/2018 

Hello Scott - The locknut on the SP0715XR50 is not replaceable. Those locknuts are placed on the valve pipes before the pipes are sonically welded into the base of the multiport. You wouldn't be able to put a new locknut on without damaging the plumbing for the valve. Some sites have the SX200R listed as a replacement locknut for the SP0715XR50 valve. The SX200R is the locknut that's used but you can't add it to an existing valve.

Jayne  Posted: 6/27/2018 

My valve looks exactly as pictured valve. The only difference is the serial number and model number boxes are blank (perhaps they wore off.) The backwash hose is leaking constantly no matter what position is selected on the valve. Further info on my filter for which I indicated the model number is blank: the filter model is S166T.

Buck  Posted: 6/24/2018 

Our top valve is pouring water out on any setting once the filter is turned n. Why?

Joan  Posted: 6/23/2018 

I have a hayward S180T92S and the backwash hose is on top of the filter and is leaking water badly. what gasket # would I need if thats really what I need Thanks Joan

Kai  Posted: 6/19/2018 

I have a Hayward SP715XR50 Valve. It is jammed and I can't rotate it to the flush position. I did take all of the screws out and the valve insert came up about 1/2 inch but I was not able to get it out with a moderate amount of force. I was a little reluctant to try prying it out since I was afraid of damaging the housing. previously it took more force than normal to rotate to the flush position and then back to the normal position.

Anonymous  Posted: 6/1/2018 

Have a very old Hayward Pro Series IS-210T-98 and getting water out of the backwash hose. Doesn't appear to have a spider gasket by looking at the owner's guide (yes I still have it 12 years later!). What am I looking at that could be wrong and need to be replaced? Thank you!

Inyopools  Posted: 5/18/2018 

My guess would be that the spider gasket is already pinched. Make sure you only turn the valve handle when the pump is off. Also, only turn the valve in one direction. This means always turn it clockwise or counterclockwise.

Don Nelsonb  Posted: 5/18/2018 

I replaced the Hayward multiport valve and it still leaking bad out the backwash. Any ideas?

Scott  Posted: 5/10/2018 

I have the Hayward SP0715XR50 and have a leaking bulkhead locknut. Are these replaceable with out replacing the whole valve assembly? Thanks

Inyopools  Posted: 5/9/2018 

Hello Helen - The spider gasket in your valve probably needs to be replaced. The replacement gasket for the Hayward SP0710XR50 is part number 4700-10X.

Helen  Posted: 5/9/2018 

I have. Spo710xr50 Hayward vari-flo valve. When I put it on the recirculating setting the backwash hose leaks. How do I fix this?

Inyopools  Posted: 5/8/2018 

Hello Steve - The S220T2 comes with a 2" multiport valve. The spider gasket for that valve is part number 4701-10.

Steve  Posted: 5/4/2018 

Hi again. The filter model number is S220T2 - Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter. Thanks!

Inyopools  Posted: 5/4/2018 

Hello Steve - What is the model of your filter? This should help us determine the exact valve model.

InyoPools  Posted: 5/4/2018 

Hi, Chase. I haven't came across an issue like this. It does sound like something is either installed wrong or like you said sized wrong. To resolve this issue, you can either take the Key Cover Assembly completely apart and inspect it or replace the key cover assembly. We be glad to assist you with resolving this issue. You can email us pictures of your valve along with the model number to

Steve  Posted: 5/3/2018 

I also have a leak out of the waste port.Model no. has faded on label. Molded number under handle is SP-710X-F, while molded number on bottom of seal is SP0714C.

Inyopools  Posted: 5/3/2018 

Hello Gabi - The 6 spoke spider gasket used on SP710 valves from 1969-1975 is part number 4700-10. The 5 spoke gasket used on models since then is part number 4700-10X.

Gabi  Posted: 5/3/2018 

Hi, I have a Hayward vari flo Sp710 from the 1970ies. What kind of spider gasket do I need?

Chase  Posted: 4/28/2018 

I have a sp740de that had a busted spider gasket and what I assumed was a bad spring since my handle was floppy. Turns out the spring was fine, but I replaced it anyway. The key assembly works fine when it isn't attached to the valve body, spring compresses diffuser rotates, spring decompresses and pushes it back down. But the act of attaching it to the valve body it compresses the spring completely and the handle goes floppy. So I have a complete seal and it works fine, but every time I'm changing the valve position i'm dragging the spider gasket along pretty hard since I can't actually lift it. I don't have any extra washers around the spring or anything like that, it's almost like something is sized wrong. Have you seen this before? Thanks, love your site.

Inyopools  Posted: 3/5/2018 

John - Yes, you have a SP714 multiport valve.

John  Posted: 3/2/2018 

My numbers are also fading, and the only thing I can see is SP714-A on the side. Does that mean I fall into the SP714 category for trying to fix the backwash leaking issue? Thanks! --John

Inyopools  Posted: 2/10/2018 

Richard Reksc - This handle is common to several multiport valves. The best way to identify your MPV is to unscrew the top valve assembly and try to match the spider gasket. The SP0714 has 4 spokes, the SP0710, SP0711 and SP0712 have 5 spokes.

Richard Reksc  Posted: 2/8/2018 

I have a Hayward Vari Flo Backwash the model number and serial numbers on the face are not legible. The handle has a number on it SPO710Z20. It has 1.5 in plumbing lines, there are 6 valve positions, it is connected to a 36 Square Foot DE Filter. The valve leaks a few drops a minute. I am trying to figure out what I would need to replace to stop the leak but I can not see the model number.

Inyopools  Posted: 12/31/2017 

Eric - 1. If you have a damaged spider gasket, I do not think that would cause a problem when the pump is off. 2. Water leaking at the shaft would be caused by a worn shaft seal in the Impeller and face plate. 3. It depends on the valve. Some valves require two but others require one. If you take your valve apart and only see one washer, you can save the second washer that is included. From the parts list for SP0716, it looks like you only have one washer placed above the spring.