How to Reduce Your Pool Pump Energy Bill

WRITTEN BY:  Inyo Pools

Inyo has done a study to find out a few steps that you can take in order to reduce your energy bill. The swimming pool pump is one of the highest energy consumers for a household. Taking these few steps can help save you money each month. Please feel free to comment on the bottom of this page for more ideas on how you reduced your pool pump bill.

There are several ways that you can reduce the cost of your energy bill with your swimming pool pump. The number one thing to keep in mind is your pump is used to help keep your swimming pool circulating and clean. If you notice a big change in your swimming pool clarity or balance you may want to double think your actions.

Amount of time to run your pool pump
The first thing to look at is how long your pump is running per day. If you do not own a timer, get one. Click here for our pool timers. Swimming pool pumps should be run an average 8 hours a day to properly circulate and clean your water. The pump should push your entire pool in gallons in this 8 hour period of time. However, often times swimming pool pump horse power is overrated for their size swimming pool. If it is overrated your pump may be pushing your water through in a 6 hour period or even a 4 hour period of time. In this case you can reduce the time you run your swimming pool pump. According to Florida Power and Electric reducing a pool pump by 2 hours will save you about $10 per month. Here is the average monthly costs for the average 1 HP pump to run.

1 HP - 4 Hours = $21
1 HP - 6 Hours = $31
1 HP - 8 Hours = $41

A pool timer will help you keep your pump running the proper amount of time. Again, check your pool chemical balance if you see a drastic change revert back to the old amount of time your run your pool pump.

Oversized Pool Pumps
Like stated above many pool builders oversize the pool pump for their swimming pool. For swimming pool clarity reasons it is always better to have a higher HP pump then a lower HP pump, but for energy consumption reasons it is just sucking on your monthly bill. One option is to switch to a lower HP pump. To figure out the proper size of your pool pump HP click on The Horse Power of Inground Pool Pumps. According to Florida Power and Electric reducing the average Florida pump (running 8 hours a day) from 1 1/2 HP down to 1 HP you can save about $19 per month. This is $228 per year.

1 HP 8 Hours = $41
1.5 HP 8 Hours = $58

If you reduce the horse power of the pump your filter will actually preform better. It will most likely be oversized compared to your pump and be able to filter out your water a little more properly. If you decide to go this route please insure your calculations are correct.

Switch to an EE motor
If you plan on staying in your home longer then 2 years then you definitly should upgrade your motor from a standard to a Energy Efficient motor. Replacing your existing pump motor with an Energy Efficient motor can save your up to 33% on your electric bill. The same 1 HP pump listed above that is switched to a 1HP EE pump motor can save you $13 per month or $156 per year.

1 HP - 8 Hours = $41
1 HP EE - 8 Hours = $28

If you are in need of a new pump you should definitly purchase a EE model. The average cost difference between standard and EE pool pumps is about $100. You will make up this difference in less then 8 months.
Click here for a list of all of our Replacment Pool Pump Motors.
Click here to find out How to Replace a Pool Pump Motor

Comments

Inyopools  Posted: 06/22/2018 15:00 PM  Latest Inyo Product Specialist

Hello Sonja - I would suggest keeping the chlorine level 1ppm higher than the current level. So if your chlorine is currently 2ppm, bump it up to 3ppm. Maintain the chlorine level and brush the walls weekly. That should prevent the yellow algae from building up on the walls.

Inyopools  Posted: 06/21/2018 17:18 PM  Latest Inyo Product Specialist

Hello Fred - Unless the pump was incredibly undersized, you shouldn't need to run it all day. It's pretty hot in Florida and we do not run our pumps 24/7. Try running the pump 8 hours a day. You'll know if it's sufficient if your chlorine level is maintained and the pool stays clear.

Fred  Posted: 06/19/2018 12:19 PM  Latest

I live in southern Wisconsin and bought a house with an unground pool last year. Both local pool supply businesses that I asked regarding how long to run the pump in my 26,000 gal. pool told me to leave it running all of the time. I have a sand filter. One person made reference to it needing to run all of the time because of where I live. I would love to not have it run all of the time and don't understand why they would tell me that it's not recommended. The pump was replaced a few years ago and I believe that it is a single speed pump.

Sonja  Posted: 06/18/2018 14:59 PM  Latest

I have the pool pump running from 5am to 10am and from 5pm to 10pm ea day. I just tested the chlorine and the acid and they look fine however the sides of the pool always seem to gather a yellow large ring. Maybe the pool guy is not scrubbing the walls enough?? What do you suggest we need to do. Thank you for your answer.

Inyopools  Posted: 06/08/2018 15:41 PM  Inyo Product Specialist

Hello Peter - I would take the pins off the timer or wire the pump to the "line" side and use the built-in timer on the Intelliflo.

peter ford  Posted: 06/08/2018 10:41 AM

I've just replaced my 1.5HP WhisperFlo pump with an IntelliFlo 3HP Pump. Should i leave the pins in my timer clock that turn the power to this pump off/on? Or should I let the pump's timer make that decision?

Inyopools  Posted: 05/08/2018 15:21 PM  Inyo Product Specialist

Hello Leo - We appreciate your input. However, there are way more benefits to running a variable speed pump longer hours on a lower speed. The energy savings is backed up by the Pump Affinity Law. Essentially, it states that the power consumption drops dramatically as the motor speed and water flow are decreased. A 1.65 HP variable speed pump will draw 1500 watts running at high speed, 3450 rpms. If you reduce that to 2100 rpms (not even half speed), the watts are 395. Also, running at lower speeds will extend the life of the filter and it will allow the filter to do a better job at cleaning the water.

Leo  Posted: 05/07/2018 6:04 AM

Not necessarily true as far as having a bigger pump on a smaller pool you're pushing more water value in less time I have a small pool 18000 gallons I call it my pond but if you have a larger pump that's going to push more water Valium and last time the less you have to run it and if your pool chemicals are online the last time you use that pump during the week I used mine 4 to 3 days a week so instead of 8 hours I run my pump three to four hours a day provided your pools maintain and well-kept I rest my case

Inyopools.com  Posted: 05/03/2018 16:10 PM

Hello Gail - It's beneficial to run the pump when the sun is on it because that is when the chlorine is getting burned up. However, it's ok to split up your run time and take advantage of being off peak hours. I would try your method of running it 4 hours in the morning and 4 in the evening. As long as the chlorine level is maintained and the pool looks good, you shouldn't have any problems.

Gail  Posted: 05/03/2018 14:14 PM

We have a 15K gallon inground pool & running a Hayward single speed 1.5 hp pump. We live in OK, so the temps in the summer can get quite hot! Our electric company has a smart hours program. The hours that were charged more per kilowatt is between 2 to 7 pm. I'm trying to determine if I can run the pumps for 4 hours in the morning, then 4 hours after 7pm or does the pump need to run 8 hours straight? Should the pump be running during the hottest parts of the day? Thank!

Inyopools  Posted: 04/11/2018 11:19 AM  Inyo Product Specialist

Hello Bill - I would downsize the pump but not the filter. We would recommend something like the Pureline Prime model PL2605. It's a 1.65HP variable speed pump. Variable speed pumps are the most energy-efficient option. Check out this video for more details https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YbKJCClL7o

Bill K.  Posted: 04/09/2018 20:09 PM

I have a 2 HP pump and a high rate pool filter designed for 62 GPM for a 18000 gal saltwater pool. My electric bills are through the roof when I open the pool. Should I downsize my pump size for my pool. If I downsize my pool pump, do I need to downsize my filter also?

Inyopools  Posted: 03/05/2018 13:53 PM  Inyo Product Specialist

Adam - As long as your pool looks clear, I'd say you're doing fine at the speed and runtime. While we are having cooler weather, you might even try reducing your speed a little more to see it that works too.

Adam  Posted: 03/03/2018 8:03 AM

I have a variable speed pool pump and live in North Florida. I run at 60% for three hours a day. I keep my chemicals in check. My pool has stayed beautiful all winter. This is far below the 8-hour recommendation. Should I be concerned, so long as the water remains clear and their is no detectable algae (at least by feel and sight)? Thanks

Inyopools  Posted: 10/22/2017 23:39 PM  Inyo Product Specialist

Lary - Most people run their pool 4-6 hours a day in the winter to prevent algae buildup. You could try running the pump every other day, but if you see the pool starting to turn green, you would have to go back to daily runs.

Lary  Posted: 10/19/2017 17:54 PM

I have an average-size saltwater pool in Sacramento and it's not used during winter months (November-March). It gets cold during winter, but not freezing temperature cold. Question: Should I turn my pump off completely (will it damage the water?), or how long should I run the pump daily during winter months (while cold, but not freezing)? If I still need to run it, can I skip a few days weekly to preserve energy and extend motor life? Thank you!

Inyopools  Posted: 09/04/2017 11:29 AM  Inyo Product Specialist

Lush Life - Unless your power company offers lower rates at night, there is no special time of the day that's more efficient than another. Your objective is to filter all of the water in your pool and that can be done anytime.

Lush Life  Posted: 09/02/2017 11:47 AM

Is is it more energy efficient to run my pool equipment at a specified time of the day. i.e. at night instead of the daytime

Inyopools  Posted: 08/30/2017 10:58 AM  Inyo Product Specialist

Anonymous (8 hrs/day) - Yes, you can break your 8-hour filtering cycle into two 4 hour segments. You just have to get the 8 hours in a 24 hour period.

Anonymous  Posted: 08/29/2017 16:17 PM

Your recommendation is to run the pool pump for an average of 8 hrs. per day. Can the 8 hrs. be split into two 4-hour segments?

Inyopools  Posted: 08/15/2017 12:40 PM  Inyo Product Specialist

David - Your Jacuzzi was designed for a 2 HP pump so I'd stay with that. If your pump comes in a 2HP Energy Efficient model, I would recommend using that model and saving 20% in operational costs.

Inyopools  Posted: 08/14/2017 11:14 AM  Inyo Product Specialist

julzb - Your pool contains just over 20,000 gallons of water. I can't tell you exactly how long you need to run your pump without knowing your pump size, but most people run their pumps 8 hrs a day during the pool season. If you switch to low speed, you should run it 16 hours. Seems like you aren't saving any energy if you have to run it twice as long, but according to energy physics, when you drop the speed by half, you reduce your energy usage by 80% - less friction. And you can run your pump any time of the day. You are just trying to filter all the water in your pool each day.

David  Posted: 08/13/2017 21:57 PM

I have a second pump for my jacuzzi only. It is about 25 years old 2 horse power. Do I need to replace it with a 2 horse power or can I reduce it to 1 1/2 horse power. It is only used for 4 jets. Also what kind of pump do I get.

julzb  Posted: 08/09/2017 18:58 PM

Hi,

we have a 30' round above ground pool 56" high, we estimate about 23,000 gal (although not sure about that). no idea how many gpm our pump does, because they never provided us with the manuals when they brought and set up our pool. But we know that it is a Hayward, and has 2 speeds, hi/low. We have been running it on high for the last 4 seasons, 24/7. i would really like to cut down on the wasted electricity. I have a couple of questions. How many hours are necessary for this size of pool, should i be running it on low (which it is right now), and how many hours a day should i run it? does it matter if that is during the sunlight hours, or night time?

I would appreciate some answers. Honestly, the people out here don't have a clue! thank you!

Inyopools  Posted: 07/30/2017 0:53 AM  Inyo Product Specialist

Sherm - Most people run their pumps 8 hours a day during the summer months. Your pump is a little larger for your size pool. You could try running it 6 to 7 hours a day. If you have trouble with algae, go back to 8 hours.

Sherm  Posted: 07/29/2017 22:48 PM

Hi we have a whisperflo 1.5 hp pump and a 10,000 gallon uv pool. We have a pentair TR100 filter. How many hours do we need to run our pump?

Inyopools  Posted: 07/17/2017 11:27 AM  Inyo Product Specialist

Joe O' - We usually recommend a 1 1/2 HP pump for your 24,000+ gallon pool, but if you go to that size, you will definitely need to upgrade your filter to match the increased water flow (GPM) of the pump. If your pool maintenance was marginally good with a 3/4 HP pump and your filter was a little larger than you needed for a 3/4 HP pump, you might get by with a 1 HP pump and your existing filter. Check the GPM for a 1 HP motor against the GPM of your current filter.

Joe O'  Posted: 07/13/2017 19:10 PM

We have an in ground 18 X 36 pool. 36 inches shallow end, 7 and a half feet in the deep end. Original pump is 3/4 HP but I am likely changing it as we are replacing the liner and want to get everything up to speed at once.
What size pump do you recommend and how many hours a day need I run it?
We are on metered electricity with cheapest hydro by far being 7 PM to & AM weekdays and all Saturday Sunday. Peak hours on weekdays being more than double.
PS...I bought our sand filter from you guys few years ago and have been very happy with it.

Inyopools  Posted: 06/30/2017 11:09 AM  Inyo Product Specialist

Pete - Here's the link to the standard Speck S90 1 HP Single Speed Pool Pump (S90-II). And here is the energy efficient version - Speck S90 1 HP EE Single Speed Pool Pump (S90-II).

Pete  Posted: 06/28/2017 12:06 PM

Hi i need help on the correct replacement pump for my pool my current pump is a speck badu 90
HP 1.0 SF 1.00 PH 1
HZ 60. RPM 3450
would prefer an energy efficient pump
Thanks

Inyopools  Posted: 05/23/2017 16:05 PM  Inyo Product Specialist

Franz- If you were running your single speed 1 HP pump for 8 hours at 3450 rpm to turn over your water, you might try running your VS pump at 1725 for 14 hours for basic filtration, and then 2 hours at 2600 for a suction cleaner. A suction cleaner usually needs higher water flow to operate. When your cut your VS pump to 1/2 speed, you reduce your operation cost to 12.5% of the cost operating at full speed. GPM is only cut by half.

Franz  Posted: 05/22/2017 0:11 AM

I have a 25 x 20 pool 3 (shallow end) ft to 6 feet (deep end) with a VS pump. How long and at what speeds should I run my pump ( 1 hp)

Inyopools  Posted: 05/06/2017 11:37 AM  Inyo Product Specialist

Piper2 - The answer to this question depends on the size of your pump. For a large club pool like yours, your would want to filter the water 3-4 times to make sure it is clean. Check the water flow for your pump (GPM) to see how long you have to run it to turn the water over 3-4 times a day. To save money, I would look into buying a larger (2.67 HP) VS pump that you could run at a low speed during the night and step to during the day as required.

Piper2  Posted: 05/04/2017 13:48 PM

I manage a 97,000 gal pool, and am a member.my question is do we need to run pump 24/7 all season? Can i just run during the night and off says? Any help would be nice.

Inyopools  Posted: 04/26/2017 11:16 AM  Inyo Product Specialist

Bert - Sounds like a good plan. I would run the SCG on the high side to over chlorinate your pool while you are gone. And I would run it for 6 hours for a couple of turnovers to try to avoid any problems while no one is able to monitor it.

Bert  Posted: 04/25/2017 21:32 PM

Hi
I have 2 questions:
- I have a 20k gl in-ground liner saltwater pool. I am leaving this summer for 3 weeks and have no one to take care of the pool. My plan is to shock it and add algecide right before leaving , cover it with my winter mesh cover and then have the pump run for 4-6 hours per day through the main drain only in case the water level drops below the skimmer.
Do you think this is ok or what else should I do?
- Also, my pump says it pumps 96 GPM at 1.5 HP. At 20k gl it would take only about 3.5 hours to pump the entire pool water. How long do I really need to run the pump per day?
Thank you very much for your advice.

Inyopools  Posted: 12/12/2016 12:04 PM  Inyo Product Specialist

Anthony - If you want to stay with the single speed pumps, I would suggest a Pentair Whisperflo for a quieter pump. If you can switch to a Variable Speed pump, they are much quieter and will also reduce your operational costs considerably. We estimate that you will make up your additional purchase cost in just over a year.

Anthony  Posted: 12/09/2016 8:28 AM

My number has a pool pump about 15 feet from the side of my house on the other side of the fence. We have three windows on that side of the house and the pump noise comes right in the windows and creates a constant hum in our living room. It is as tough we had a dryer running in our living room. Do you have any suggestions? Quieter pump? Housing for the pump?
Thank you.

Inyopools  Posted: 10/24/2016 10:14 AM  Inyo Product Specialist

TONY - Most people run their pools 8 hours a day during the season. If your pool people are suggesting running your pool 24/7 during the winter to keep the pool from freezing, that's an expensive option. I would suggest winterizing your pool instead. See our guide on "How To Winterize Your Swimming Pool".

TONY  Posted: 10/21/2016 19:34 PM

My in ground pool is 3 ft to 9 ft deep & 16 ft wide by 34 ft long, about 22000 gals.The people who open & close my pool told me to run my filter 24/7 , I don't have to ?? p.s. I live near Pittsburgh, does this matter ??